Skip to main content

Motorola Atrix “is” the future of laptop-netbook-smartphone computing.

Out of all the gadgets at CES the one that really stood out for me was the Motorola Atrix. It is basically a full featured smartphone that can be docked into a laptop-netbook shell. When docked into the shell, the smartphone helps power a full size netbook screen and traditional netbook keyboard.

In the near future, why would you need a powerful smartphone, and a separate laptop which has its own CPU, memory, and disk? Why can’t it be just the same device where the laptop shell acts like a UI extension to the phone? All of your data would just be on one device, no data sync needed. When docked into the laptop shell, the device would still be able to leverage wireless networks with all the same connectivity benefits of a traditional laptop. The docked smartphone would simply become the main CPU, memory, and disk for the laptop shell.That is what I see when I look at the Motorola Atrix.

The same concept would also work for a tablet user experience. You would take your smartphone and attach it to the back of a tablet shell. The full tablet LCD would light up with the expanded user experience from your smartphone. The tablet would not have CPU, memory, or storage, all of that would be provided by your smartphone.

This has got to be the near future, no other model really makes sense. Of course for certain professions there will always be a need for a high end desktop computer or full powered laptop. But for the majority of us business users that only need email, browser, and local utility apps, why do we really need our laptop to be another standalone computer? In most cases an “expanded” smartphone experience would be perfect when we wanted a larger screen and keyboard.

And what if the docking connection from your smartphone to the laptop shell was a “standardized” connection so that your smartphone could be docked to “any” laptop shell? You would just take your smartphone with you and could plug it into any shell that you had available at home or work. The docking shell would just be a commodity, and not proprietary to a specific device manufacturer. You would buy the shell as a completely separate purchase from the smartphone and could pick the size, color, style, etc.

All of the operators have been pushing laptop data plans using usb modules in order to expand mobile network usage, but the Atrix concept is a shift in the opposite direction. It is basically promoting the “one device” model where the larger LCD and keyboard are just peripherals off of your smartphone.

The “Atrix” represents “The One” just like in the “Matrix”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple vs Windows Font Rendering ::: Who gets the headache?

The Apple philosophy of showing screen fonts in a way consistent with printing is opposite of the Windows way of displaying screen fonts for readability. This issue has been discussed at length in the past, but because of the recent surge in popularity of Apple laptops and desktops, I wonder if this issue will resurface as more ex-Windows users switch to the Mac and find out that the fonts might look very different to them. I am a "dual mode" user. I have a XP machine I have to use at work, and at home I have a Mac. Since I was a Windows users for a long time before I started using the Mac, my brain is "wired" to think that the Windows way of showing the fonts looks best. My XP machine is a Thinkpad X60. The Thinkpads have always had really great laptop displays that are really clear and easy to read. Because of this, I run Windows with no font smoothing. To me it looks "pixel perfect" and I can stare at the screen all day with absolutely no eye strain. W

Living with a Greyhound

We have a retired racing Greyhound. His dog name is "Stormy", his racing name was "Village Luigi". Even though many Greyhounds are now being adopted, many people still haven't seen them up close. When I have Stormy with me, I get a lot of questions about what it is like to have a Greyhound living in your house. I will attempt to answer some of those questions. Of course there will always be exceptions depending on the individual animal, but these are my experiences. First Contact: Almost all Greyhounds that people have in their private homes came from a racing program. Racing is an industry, and the dogs literally drove it. You don't see ads in the local newspaper saying "Greyhound puppies for sale". Greyhounds are pure breed animals and the breeding process is tightly controlled . The ones that people adopt are animals that have left the active racing program. You might get a dog that raced dozens of times, or you might get a dog that only raced

The "Hurt" is over.........somewhat

It has been a while since I've been able to look at this blog. Mostly because of the posts regarding my pets. "Stormy" my first greyhound dying, then when "Sizzle" my second greyhound died, I couldn't really look at my old posts regarding my dogs, and I couldn't bring myself to delete them. So, I stopped looking. Shortly after Sizzle passed away, my other best friend in the world "Buddy" (the Coatimundi) also passed away from old age. He was 11. I still can't watch any dog/pet related movies, TV shows, etc. In our house we still have "Nilla" (the Papillon), she is also 10+, but doing fine. Anyway, time to move forward.