Skip to main content

R.I.P. "Stormy the Greyhound" 2002-2009


Stormy passed away Tuesday morning. Over the last month he was slowly deteriorating, and we finally learned he had a form of cancer that couldn't be treated. He was still "functioning", but he was no longer eating, and he didn't have much strength left. So we decided it was best to do the right thing before he experienced a lot of pain, or could no longer stand or walk.

This is one of the recent pictures I took of him with my mobile phone a few weeks ago. He was sick, but his natural easy-going self still did shine through. This is how I want to remember him.

I could write a book about him and Greyhound behavior, but for now, I just want to recount two days in the time he was with us.

The first day we brought Stormy home, the realization of what it meant to have a Greyhound became apparent. Stormy went from the race track, to the Greyhound shelter kennel, to our home. He had never been in a house before! He didn't even understand what it meant to walk up a small set of stairs. It was like he was a dog from another planet. A lot of Greyhounds are like this and need extra help learning the basics when they first come to live with you.

Anyway, we finally got him to come into the front door onto the shoe mat inside our house, but then the next problem. We wouldn't step off the mat onto our hardwood floors. He had never walked inside a house before and didn't understand the texture of a smooth floor and how to place his feet on it. He would try to walk on his "nails", but would just slip. So that first night he stayed on the little carpet by our front door. We put some other blankets down so he had a larger spot to move around on, but he wouldn't venture out into the rest of the house. That night he finally lay down and relaxed near the door mat. And so he wouldn't be alone on the first night in our house, I slept on the floor next him. Hopefully that was the first time he understood I was his friend.

Monday night, August 17th, 2009, Stormy's last night on Earth.

We usually take a quick walk every night around 10-11pm. Since he has been sick, he had to go out even more often so we were out again closer to midnight. He did a quick (number one) and we turned back toward the house. He has been pretty low on energy, so his walking pace is very slow and labored.

When we got back near the front of the house on our lawn, he stopped walking and just stood still. I tried to prompt him to continue but he didn't budge. I gave him a pet on the head to make sure he was OK, and he seemed fine. It was really warm outside, a perfect day/night in Oregon. I got the idea of grabbing an old blanket we keep near the steps of the house and throwing that out on the grass in front of where we was standing to see if he wanted to lay down and rest. As soon as I laid it out he moved forward, did a few "dog spins" and laid down. So I just sat down by him. It was the middle of the night, dark, quiet, warm, we were alone.

At first he just sat there, looking around out into the darkness that surrounds our little neighborhood. There was a slight breeze and I could see he was sniffing the air. I pet him on his head and back. After a few minutes he laid over on his side, took a few deep breaths, and started his process of going to sleep for the night.

I quickly went back into our house, grabbed a few other blankets and my sleeping bag. When I came back out, I put a thicker blanket around him, unrolled my sleeping bag and crawled in. That is where we stayed for the rest of the night, in the grass, under the stars, just me and him. I didn't really sleep, but I just laid there watching him, and looking up at the stars.

Maybe in the way that animals do, he had a sense that his life-energy was draining away and he just wanted to spend some time outside closer to nature, take in the smells, feel the breeze, and be under the stars. I knew it was a special moment, since this is something he never seemed to want to do before. Greyhounds are "inside" dogs, and Stormy definitely liked the big soft sleeping spots he had in our house.

And so the night passed. He slept really well. I could tell because I had my arm laid underneath his blanket and resting on his side. When he dreams, his legs start to "twitch" like he is running in his sleep, and he lets out a low growl in between his breaths. He hadn't been sleeping well the last few nights, so I was glad to see he was relaxed out here in the yard. A couple of times he woke up, looked around and over at me, but then after a few minutes, put his head back down and continued to sleep. When he put his head back down, I lightly scratched behind his ears until I could tell he was asleep again.

The next morning we woke up, my wife and daughter found us outside, and they came out and sat with Stormy while I got everything ready to make the final trip to the Vet's office. When the time came, the girls said a tear filled "good-bye" to him, we loaded up in the car and drove off.

The "process" at the Vet's office went fine. I don't really want to remember those details, but I'll just say it was fast and humane. Within a few minutes he was gone. I wrapped him up in a blanket, had the Vet assistants help me load him up into our car, and I drove back home.

The day before, I dug a nice spot for him in our back yard. It is slightly elevated, and it looks out over the area of our yard where he liked to walk and sniff around.

I can't really explain why he didn't want to go back inside on that last night. Somehow "he knew" his time was short and maybe he just wanted to spend it in a way that allowed him to be closer to his wild ancestry. I'm happy I was able to be with him during this time, I'll never forget that night for the rest of my life. Stormy was my friend.

Comments

karen said…
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your last night with Stormy sounds beautiful. I wish that all animals were as beloved as your Stormy clearly was.
Unknown said…
This broke my heart - I have two greys and this broke my heart. Your description of Stormy's last night captured the love and bond I have with my greys - I don't know I would have the same strength.
Cindy, thanks for the comment. For a long time I didn't even want to look at this blog while everything was still fresh in my mind regarding Stormy. In honor of him, we adopted another Greyhound "Sizzle". I'll post a picture of her in the near future. Thanks, Tony.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple vs Windows Font Rendering ::: Who gets the headache?

The Apple philosophy of showing screen fonts in a way consistent with printing is opposite of the Windows way of displaying screen fonts for readability. This issue has been discussed at length in the past, but because of the recent surge in popularity of Apple laptops and desktops, I wonder if this issue will resurface as more ex-Windows users switch to the Mac and find out that the fonts might look very different to them. I am a "dual mode" user. I have a XP machine I have to use at work, and at home I have a Mac. Since I was a Windows users for a long time before I started using the Mac, my brain is "wired" to think that the Windows way of showing the fonts looks best. My XP machine is a Thinkpad X60. The Thinkpads have always had really great laptop displays that are really clear and easy to read. Because of this, I run Windows with no font smoothing. To me it looks "pixel perfect" and I can stare at the screen all day with absolutely no eye strain. W

Living with a Greyhound

We have a retired racing Greyhound. His dog name is "Stormy", his racing name was "Village Luigi". Even though many Greyhounds are now being adopted, many people still haven't seen them up close. When I have Stormy with me, I get a lot of questions about what it is like to have a Greyhound living in your house. I will attempt to answer some of those questions. Of course there will always be exceptions depending on the individual animal, but these are my experiences. First Contact: Almost all Greyhounds that people have in their private homes came from a racing program. Racing is an industry, and the dogs literally drove it. You don't see ads in the local newspaper saying "Greyhound puppies for sale". Greyhounds are pure breed animals and the breeding process is tightly controlled . The ones that people adopt are animals that have left the active racing program. You might get a dog that raced dozens of times, or you might get a dog that only raced

The "Hurt" is over.........somewhat

It has been a while since I've been able to look at this blog. Mostly because of the posts regarding my pets. "Stormy" my first greyhound dying, then when "Sizzle" my second greyhound died, I couldn't really look at my old posts regarding my dogs, and I couldn't bring myself to delete them. So, I stopped looking. Shortly after Sizzle passed away, my other best friend in the world "Buddy" (the Coatimundi) also passed away from old age. He was 11. I still can't watch any dog/pet related movies, TV shows, etc. In our house we still have "Nilla" (the Papillon), she is also 10+, but doing fine. Anyway, time to move forward.