Skip to main content

How much is your Facebook profile worth?

With all the recent announcements by Facebook on its new advertising model. I was thinking about how to establish a monetary value for a Facebook profile. Right now there are several calculations based on the number of FB users and the valuation based on the recent MS equity purchase. This all equates to a fixed cost-per-user, but I was thinking about something different.

I was thinking that the value should be variable based on the influence that a user has. The FB "influence factor" would be based on the number of friends I have, the number of apps I subscribe to, my groups, number of interactions, etc. My "influence factor" is a ranking of how involved I am in FB and hence a reflection of how FB "sticky" I am. The more sticky the better because the more time I spend in FB means that there are more opportunities to show me ads. Also a large number of friends means that my profile home page is prime real estate for product placement messages that my friends will view when they check up on me.

I guess I'm not that valuable. There is a FB application at http://apps.facebook.com/valuation that will calculate how valuable your profile is worth. Mine only comes out to $16 dollars.

It is an interesting concept because over time the high value FB user would also be considered an "influencer". These people would be more valuable to advertisers because of the social net they would cast over other Facebook users that they are connected with.

Taking this a step further you can almost imagine a "ranking" system that would calculate the pecking order of all FB users. Those at the top would be like Frequent Flyers with a lot of miles. They will probably get all kinds of perks and other inducements that we can't even imagine yet.

This whole line of thinking leads me to the concept of certain Facebook users eventually getting "paid" for being on FB. If your profile has a high FB-valuation, then it seems like people will start knocking on your door. "Hey if you just promote this product on your profile we will give you this...."

Who knows what "this" will be? Eventually it will come out what "this" is, and it is sure to happen. Your FB profile will be like the price of a stock. You will have a FB P/E ratio, and your valuation will fluctuate on a daily basis based on your marketing performance to-date.

And with profile "fame" a new industry will be born. You will be able to hire a Facebook PR agent that will work on your behalf to score the best deal with the various marketers that will want your profile endorsement and access to your friends list.

It is deja-vu-all-over-again. First we had web pages, then came web pages with advertising, then we had blogs, now we have blogs with advertising. Recently we had profiles, and now we have profiles with advertising.

One thing seems to be left out of the Facebook system for targeting ads. That is: "What is my ability to actually buy something?" Do I have a high FB value because I have a lot of free time on my hands to build my profile, and because of this not a lot of personal funding? Maybe I can get a high FB-valuation just because I have a lot of friends. I wonder if someone will eventually become a millionaire based on marketing dollars leveraged from their FB friends list?

It seems like even the ability to judge your financial resources is within the reach of FB based on the data in your profile. Right now you type in your name, your area of residence, and your birth date. With that information it seems like it would be possible to do some quick background research on "you" and figure out exactly who you are financially. From there it is only a hop-skip-and-a-jump to figure out what type of ads match up with your discretionary budget.

If FB actually knew the "real me", I'm sure my profile value would double. From $16 to at least $32.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple vs Windows Font Rendering ::: Who gets the headache?

The Apple philosophy of showing screen fonts in a way consistent with printing is opposite of the Windows way of displaying screen fonts for readability. This issue has been discussed at length in the past, but because of the recent surge in popularity of Apple laptops and desktops, I wonder if this issue will resurface as more ex-Windows users switch to the Mac and find out that the fonts might look very different to them. I am a "dual mode" user. I have a XP machine I have to use at work, and at home I have a Mac. Since I was a Windows users for a long time before I started using the Mac, my brain is "wired" to think that the Windows way of showing the fonts looks best. My XP machine is a Thinkpad X60. The Thinkpads have always had really great laptop displays that are really clear and easy to read. Because of this, I run Windows with no font smoothing. To me it looks "pixel perfect" and I can stare at the screen all day with absolutely no eye strain. W

R.I.P. "Stormy the Greyhound" 2002-2009

Stormy passed away Tuesday morning. Over the last month he was slowly deteriorating, and we finally learned he had a form of cancer that couldn't be treated. He was still "functioning", but he was no longer eating, and he didn't have much strength left. So we decided it was best to do the right thing before he experienced a lot of pain, or could no longer stand or walk. This is one of the recent pictures I took of him with my mobile phone a few weeks ago. He was sick, but his natural easy-going self still did shine through. This is how I want to remember him. I could write a book about him and Greyhound behavior, but for now, I just want to recount two days in the time he was with us. The first day we brought Stormy home, the realization of what it meant to have a Greyhound became apparent. Stormy went from the race track, to the Greyhound shelter kennel, to our home. He had never been in a house before! He didn't even understand what it meant to walk up a small s

Living with a Greyhound

We have a retired racing Greyhound. His dog name is "Stormy", his racing name was "Village Luigi". Even though many Greyhounds are now being adopted, many people still haven't seen them up close. When I have Stormy with me, I get a lot of questions about what it is like to have a Greyhound living in your house. I will attempt to answer some of those questions. Of course there will always be exceptions depending on the individual animal, but these are my experiences. First Contact: Almost all Greyhounds that people have in their private homes came from a racing program. Racing is an industry, and the dogs literally drove it. You don't see ads in the local newspaper saying "Greyhound puppies for sale". Greyhounds are pure breed animals and the breeding process is tightly controlled . The ones that people adopt are animals that have left the active racing program. You might get a dog that raced dozens of times, or you might get a dog that only raced